COVID-19 is the illness caused by a novel, or new, coronavirus first identified in Wuhan, China, in late 2019. The virus is SARS-Co-V-2, and the disease the virus causes, coronavirus disease 2019, is abbreviated as COVID-19.
Public health officials are monitoring the COVID-19 outbreak, which is a public health emergency and on March 11 was declared a pandemic by the World Health Organization. Misinformation, rumors and the rapidly changing nature of the outbreak are big problems, so APHA and the entire public health community are working overtime to ensure you have the facts.
What is APHA Doing?
We are urging the public health community to share science-based information with the public and are speaking out for outbreak response funding and support.
- Public health professionals are heroes who deserve our support and gratitude, not intimidation and threats (APHA, American College of Preventive Medicine, American Association of Public Health Physicians)
- As colleges eye fall semester, reopening safely hinges on risk reduction and preparation (APHA news release)
- American Journal of Public Health July issue: COVID-19: WE'RE NOT ALL IN THIS TOGETHER!
- "The sorrow we feel about the more than 100,000 lives lost from COVID-19 in the U.S. strengthens our resolve to slow the spread of the disease." (APHA news release)
- How will COVID-19 reshape future of US public health? Field expected to evolve post-pandemic (The Nation's Health)
- Already-strained US public health workforce grapples with COVID-19 (The Nation's Health)
- Letter to congressional leaders in support of legislation to increase COVID-19 testing to address the needs of our most vulnerable communities
- Letter to HHS Secretary Azar urging the administration to renew the current public health emergency declaration for at least an additional 90 days before it expires
- Letter to House and Senate Appropriations Committee leaders applauding emergency COVID-19 funding and supporting a Health Defense Operations budget designation to improve public health and pandemic preparedness
- Letter to the U.S. Department of Agriculture requesting an extension of child nutrition waivers through September to support access to nutrition services for communities affected by COVID-19
- Letter to congressional leaders outlining funding priorities as the U.S. begins to prepare for the allocation, distribution and administration of a new COVID-19 pandemic vaccine
- "Everybody should recognize that their second job is public health" (TED Talk with APHA Executive Director Georges Benjamin)
- Ensuring health equity during the COVID-19 pandemic: the role of public health infrastructure (Georges Benjamin in Pan American Journal of Public Health)
- US public health meets COVID-19 head-on: Pandemic squeezes long-underfunded public health system (The Nation's Health)
- Get Ready Mailbag: Can we go back outside already?!
- Coronavirus: How to protect yourself from COVID-19 (tips and resources to share with your friends, family and community)
- Public Health Newswire post series
- COVID-19 Conversations: A new APHA/National Academy of Medicine webinar series
- COVID-19 and Equity (new APHA webpage)
- Prioritize public health in legislation to combat COVID-19 (APHA action alert)
- Letter urging Congress to include H.R. 6561, the Improving Social Determinants of Health Act of 2020, in the next COVID-19 legislative response package
- American Journal of Public Health COVID-19 resource page
- Statement on physical distancing guidelines (PDF)
- Legislative Response to COVID-19 (PDF, APHA summary)
- Letter from more than 1,000 organizations and individuals urging the Trump administration to reverse course and continue funding the World Health Organization
- Countering the "infodemic" of misinformation (highlights of APHA media coverage)
- COVID-19 is a pandemic, "But people should not panic." (Georges Benjamin on YouTube)