The American Public Health Association established the Alliance for Disease Prevention and Response in 2020. The Alliance is a collaborative of public health and health care organizations, business groups, the faith community, non-profits, philanthropies, and other key stakeholder groups working together as part of a national movement to improve COVID-19 prevention and control and to strengthen our nation’s capacity to protect against future pandemics and disease outbreaks. The Alliance also supports and helps inform efforts at local, state, tribal and national levels.
The Alliance aims to build a resilient, equitable and healthy nation, supported by a robust public health system that is empowered to protect against societal health threats and respond to the unique health needs of every community. The Alliance’s goals are to:
- improve alignment of efforts and information-sharing within and across multiple sectors;
- increase public engagement and acceptance of COVID-19 prevention efforts, including masking, hand hygiene, testing, contact tracing, social distancing and vaccine use;/li>
- ensure adequate health and social supports of populations that experience racial, health and resource inequities and the heaviest pandemic burden;
- increase and sustain public and philanthropic support for a strong and resilient public health system; and
- eliminate the COVID-19 pandemic and protect against future societal health crises.
The intern(s) will help with all aspects of the Alliance focusing on general Alliance activities including the communications and programmatic components. APHA internships are unpaid and located in Washington, D.C.
Interns should have the ability and interest in
- Assisting in overall activities (developing materials, capturing lessons from meetings; coordinating meetings)
- Collaborating to develop our newsletter, Alliance Alert
- Conducting research to identify items to include in our library of COVID-19 resources, helping to determine how best to display information and resources, providing information about areas of interest to Alliance members and working groups, and assisting with developing Alliance materials.
All APHA interns also work on the Association’s Get Ready campaign, writing blog posts and working on group projects each semester.
The Alliance offers one or two internship per semester to qualified students. We are looking for creative, enthusiastic, and out-of-the-box thinkers. Must be comfortable working as part of a team. Experience with deadlines and translation of evidence-based information into lay language is a plus, as is experience with social media and websites. Opportunities for internships are available year-round and last for a three- to four-month period. To assure that the intern maximizes her or his experience, we ask that the intern work at least 21 hours per week. All APHA internships are unpaid. Start and end times are negotiable.