The American Public Health Association’s Continuing Education Accreditation Committee provides leadership in the creation, development; implementation of continuing education processes to ensure APHA remains in full compliance and meets the standards and criteria set by accreditation bodies. APHA is currently accredited as a provider of medical, nursing, health education, and public health credits; and as an approver of continuing nursing contact hours.
The mission of the Committee is to assure that APHA remains in compliance with all Accreditation council for Continuing Medical Education, American Nurses Credentialing Center, National Commission for Health Education Credentialing, Inc., and the National Board of Public Health Examiners requirements and standards. The Committee does so by: reviewing new criteria as it becomes available; by reviewing current processes and documents that govern APHA’s jointly sponsored, co-provided and directly sponsored educational activities for modification to keep APHA in compliance with said criteria and standards; and by training and orienting other volunteers to the requirements to increase the pool of qualified reviewers and planners in all four disciplines.
- Review and integrate the CE standards and criteria of your respective discipline into APHA’s CE program.
- Act as the Lead CE planner and/or reviewer for APHA’s jointly sponsored education activities.
- Act as one of the Lead CE reviewers for APHA’s directly sponsored Annual Meeting Learning Institute and scientific session activities.
- Assist in the training and orientation of new CE volunteer reviewers and planners.
- Participate in at least two Committee conference calls — (March/April and September/November) — and other calls on accreditation issues/problems as necessary.
Committee members are appointed for a two-year term. Re-appointment can occur indefinitely.
Members of the Continuing Education Accreditation Committee
|Kaye Bender, RN, PHD, FAAN
President and CEO
Public Health Accreditation Board
||Colleen Hughes, RN, PhD
Mountain Health Connections
|Christopher M. Ledingham, PhD, CHES
Asst. Professor, Health and Human Performance
University of Texas at Brownsville and Texas Southmost College
||Jane Steffensen, MPH, CHES
Assoc. Professor, Community Dentistry
University of TX – School of Dentistry
San Antonio, Texas
|Wendy E. Braund, MD, MPH, MSEd
State Health Officer and Senior Administrator
Wyoming Department of Health
|| Vacant MD Position
|Amar Kanekar, MB, BS, MPH, PhD, CPH
University of Arkansas at Little Rock
Little Rock, Arkansas
||Vacant CPH Position
Coordinator, Learning and Professional Development Programs Unit
800 I Street, NW
Washington, DC 20001-3710
APHA Policy on Executive Session (PDF)