A Poster Session is a graphic presentation of an author's research. Authors illustrate their findings by displaying graphs, photos, diagrams and a small amount of text on the poster boards.
Poster Sessions will take place in the Public Health Expo. Authors will hold discussions with attendees who are circulating among the poster boards. Many authors find it helpful to present a brief introduction to answer the obvious questions and allow the remainder of the time for more in-depth discussions.
APHA Presenter/Organizer/Moderator Policy:
- Presenters must be individual members of APHA.
- Presenters, session organizers and moderators must register for the meeting (full or one-day).
- All presenters must be registered by the Advance Registration Deadline.
- Speakers who fail to show up for their scheduled presentations without previously notifying the program planner of cancellation will not be permitted to present papers or posters at any APHA-sponsored meeting for two years following the "no-show."
Posters Printed and Ready for Pick Up
There is no need to struggle through airport security with bulky poster carrying cases or to take the chance that your hard work and research will be lost or misplaced during your travels. Arrange to have your poster printed on recycled paper to help us in our efforts to green the Annual Meeting. Send your files digitally and pick up your poster on-site. Once your presentation is finished, return your poster to the pickup desk and we'll ship it anywhere in the U.S. for $25. Find out more about Research-Posters.com.
The poster distribution desk will be in the exhibit hall behind the poster presentation boards. Hours of operation are:
- Saturday: Closed
- Sunday: 1:30 - 6 p.m.
- Monday: 9:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
- Tuesday: 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
- Wednesday: Closed
- The poster board will be 4 feet tall by 8 feet wide, mounted on stands.
- Thumbtacks will be available on-site for mounting the displays.
- A chair will be provided for each Poster Session presenter.
- No audiovisual equipment is permitted for poster presentations.
- Poster sessions consist of 10 poster boards numbered 1 through 10 (session numbers will be indicated at the beginning of each row of boards).
- Your 4-digit session number and board number can be found in the online program.
- There will be approximately 30 poster sessions scheduled concurrently. Be sure to identify the correct row of boards for your session and the appropriate board number.
- The author must remain by his/her poster board for the duration of the one-hour session.
- Posters may be set up 30 minutes before the start of the session.
- Presentations should be taken down within 30 minutes after the session ends. Display materials not removed following the conclusion of the session will be discarded.
- If handouts are to be distributed, bring approximately 50 copies.
- Bring business cards with you in case the viewer is interested in more information.
Poster Development Tips
- Materials should include the title of the presentation and list of authors. Letters in the title should be at least 1 inch high. Bring all illustrations needed -- figures, tables, color photographs, charts.
- The material should be well labeled and legible from a distance of 10 to 15 feet away. Lettering should be bold. If you will be posting typed material, use a large font size (24 point font) on white, non-glossy paper. Use 1-inch margins. Avoid use of fancy fonts. Use upper and lowercase letters. Sans serif fonts such as Veranda are much easier to read than Serif fonts.
- The APHA Disability Section has developed additional information to assist you in developing an accessible poster presentation.
Presenters can upload handouts in PowerPoint or PDF in the Speaker's Corner. Handouts will become a permanent part of the Online Program.
Printed papers and materials for your presentation should be sent ahead to your hotel, addressed to your attention and labeled "Hold for Arrival" or brought with you. Do not send any materials directly to the convention center.