Learn more about ways you can advance your food and nutrition education and career and become more engaged in our Section and APHA.
For regular updates on nutrition-related news, events or opportunities, connect with us on Twitter and LinkedIn, and become involved with our Section (see member-only benefits, below).
APHA Annual Meeting
Join us at the 2019 Annual Meeting in Philadelphia, themed Creating the Healthiest Nation: For science. For action. For health. Explore the Food and Nutrition Section program page, and start planning your time at the Meeting!
A few sessions you won’t want to miss…
- Section Business Meeting (267.0), Sunday, Nov. 3, from 3:30-5:30 pm
- Section Awards Ceremony, Sunday, Nov. 3, from 6:30-8:30 pm
- APHA Philadelphia Food Systems Tour, Saturday, Nov. 2, from 12:30-6:30 pm (learn more and purchase tickets)
- Invited Speakers Session (3255.0), Food, Nutrition, and Population Health: Exploring the Role of Food As Preventive Medicine
- Collaborative Session (3036.1), Exploring the Relationship between Food Insecurity and Depression in the U.S. and Abroad: A Collaborative Session
- Roundtable Session (4249.0), Multiple Perspectives: Exploring the Impact of Sweetened Beverage Taxes and Initiatives Nationwide
Don’t forget to visit our Section booth in the Exhibit Hall, and to follow us on Twitter during the meeting: @APHAfood
Section Fellowships and Awards
To help our members advance their academic and career interests, we offer fellowships to students and early-career professionals, as well as awards to professionals more settled in their careers. Information about application deadlines for 2020 will be posted as it becomes available.
Each year, we offer fellowships to students and early-career professionals (within two years of graduation) to attend the APHA Annual Meeting and jumpstart their involvement in our Section. In addition to becoming engaged in the public health nutrition advocacy work and other activities, fellows receive an award of up to $450 to pay expenses related to Annual Meeting attendance. View eligibility criteria and additional information from 2019. Application deadline is in August of each year.
Section awards recognize outstanding achievements, celebrate innovation and commend excellent work in public health nutrition. We honor recipients during a reception at the APHA Annual Meeting each year. View our “Awards” page for criteria for each award and nomination guidelines. Application deadline is in July of each year.
National Public Health Week
Each year, our Section participates in National Public Health Week (an initiative of APHA) and shares opportunities about the many, different ways to become involved.
Check back in March 2020 for additional information. In the meantime, keep the conversation going on Twitter (#NPHWChat)!
For Members Only: Section Newsletters and Email Digest
To keep our members engaged and informed, we offer a number of resources throughout the year, including access to our newsletters and bi-weekly email digests filled with news, events and opportunities for nutrition education and related careers. As a member of APHA, you also gain access to member-only webinars.