APHA's goal is for every Annual Meeting registrant to join in the effort to give something back to the host city. Help make a real impact in Philadelphia by giving generously to this year's host city charity, Turning Points for Children, during the Help Us Help Them campaign.
Turning Points for Children is a subsidiary of the Public Health Management Corporation and is the largest social service organization for children in Philadelphia. They serve more than 17,500 vulnerable individuals through a continuum of care. Turning Points for Children offers researched-based innovative programs that nurture families with children who are struggling against difficult economic and environmental odds. They provide the critical resources, life skills and supportive partnerships needed to create stronger families and raise children with the hope for brighter futures.
Learn about some of the lives Turning Points for Children has changed:
Turning Points Programs and Services include:
- Finding forever homes for neglected children.
- Behavioral health and youth development programs.
- Resources for young adults aging out of foster care.
- Reconnecting family members.
- Resources for moms and dads.
Make a Donation
Monetary donations can be made during registration. These are some of the ways your money helps children and families in Philadelphia:
- $25 provides a case of diapers for teen parents.
- $50 provides one month of supplemental formula for a hungry infant.
- $100 provides a month of healthy foods for a struggling family.
- $150 provides one month of software that allows Case Managers to search for long lost family members that are willing to be a resource and support for youth in foster care.
- $200 provides Care Kits, duffle bags filled with age-appropriate items for four children entering foster homes.
- Donations of any amount are accepted and appreciated.
APHA 2019 will be the third Annual Meeting to offer a volunteer opportunity. Participants must reserve one of the available one-hour time slots while registering. This event takes place on Sunday, Nov. 3, at the convention center. The main focus of this year's volunteer event will be the Brighter Holidays Giving Drive project that collects, wraps and distributes 6,000 gifts around Philadelphia. Volunteers are needed for early-morning setup, gift wrapping, tagging, holiday card making and break-down.
Bring a Gift
We're encouraging each attendee to bring a new, unopened gift to the convention center on Sunday, Nov. 3. These gifts will be wrapped by attendees during the volunteer event. Gift donations for all ages are appreciated but please consider bringing a gift for an older child or teen. More information to come.
- Served more than 17,500 vulnerable individuals through our continuum of care.
- Distributed over 178,000 pounds of produce and other foods to food insecure families.
- Received our Adoption license to help even more families find forever homes.
- Located 1,527 Foster Care supports.
- Gifted 5,800 children in care with gifts for the holidays.
- Expanded our YVLifeset Program for young adults who transition from foster care into adulthood. The only provider with two teams.