ADA-designated hotel rooms will be specifically set aside for individuals requesting them. Be sure to indicate your specific needs in the online housing form. These rooms are guaranteed. Each year APHA conducts a detailed accessibility survey (available mid-April) and environmental survey (available mid-April) of all official APHA hotels. These surveys (completed by the hotels) provide information about accessible entrances, parking and drop-off areas and information regarding accessible public areas, guest rooms, meeting rooms, restaurants, hotel amenities and assistive devices. Use this information to select the hotel that best meets your needs.
Make hotel reservations as early as possible as there are a limited number of accessible rooms available at each property.
San Francisco is accessed by San Francisco International Airport (SFO) or Oakland International Airport (OAK). Both airports have basic information regarding accessible services. Visit these sites before traveling or call TSA at 855-787-2227.
View our housing and travel page for general information about traveling to San Francisco. Be sure to take advantage of exclusive, APHA travel discounts!
To and From the Airport
- Public Transportation — Individuals can take BART, San Francisco's public rail option, from the airports to downtown. BART is committed to complying with all Federal Americans with Disabilities regulations. Detailed information on their accessibility services can be found on their website.
Getting Around San Francisco
- On Call Accessible Transportation — Wheelchair accessible van transportation can be scheduled upon request. Visit or call the APHA accessibility booth to make arrangements in advance. The phone number will be printed on shuttle signage, in the Final Program and in the badge-mailing packet. Please provide the shuttle company with advance notice of when and where you will need a pick up.
- Taxi Service —The following taxi companies in San Francisco currently operate wheelchair accessible vehicles equipped with ramp, wheelchair securement and shoulder and lap belts.
- Yellow Taxi: 415-626-2345
- Luxor Cab: 415-282-4141
- Town Taxi: 415-546-1888
- Access Services and Equipment — Please refer to page 9 of the Accessibility Guide (available mid-April) for references and referrals for van rentals, wheelchair and scooter rentals, and other resources for transportation.