A Letter from Your Chair
Andrea P. Lowe
August 1, 2018
Hello, PHEHP Members:
The Annual Meeting is less than three months away, and we have a lot of work to do. Prior to the Annual Meeting, please work in your committee to create a webinar and/or stream a Facebook Live session about your committee activities, goals, and to answer questions. The next step would then be to schedule a committee meetup (Facebook Live) session at the conference to virtually join with members who are unable to attend.
For committees that are more active during the conference (i.e. Booth Committee), think of ways to utilize resources to educate and advocate throughout the year, including connecting early with presenters. How can you utilize resources and connect the dots?
If you have not joined a committee, please contact me so that I can connect you with the committee chair. In the meantime, please welcome the following committee member(s):
Donica Beckett - Health Equity Committee
We are doing something new this year at the Annual Meeting. It is the PHEHP’s Got Talent event. For more information contact Membership Chair Ruthy Watson.
- Increase PHEHP committee participation (because "...no man is an island..." and we need each other to thrive)
- Increase PHEHP member engagement in the community (because without community service, why are we here, not to serve ourselves, but to serve others)
- Continue health equity in all PHEHP policies and activities
THOUGHT FOR THE MONTH
"Only a life lived in the service to others is worth living." ~ Albert Einstein
APHA: 2018 Annual Meeting, Nov.10-14 in San Diego
National Institutes of Health and AcademyHealth: 2018 Conference on the Science of Dissemination and Implementation in Health, December 3-5, 2018 in Washington, D.C.
Society of Public Health Education: 2018 Advocacy Summit, Oct. 13-15 in Washington, D.C.
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill: National Health Equity Research Webcast
Sept. 28, 2018, 1:30 p.m.-4 p.m. EDT
Have a great month, and keep the PHEHP CHALLENGE going by donating here: PHEHP SECTION ENRICHMENT
Congratulations to our newly elected PHEHP leaders!
- Chair-elect: Sherie Lou Santos
- Secretary-elect: Heather Gardiner
- Treasurer: Daisy Morales-Campos
- Governing Council: Josh Bernstein, Lilanta Joy Bradley, Rosemary Caron, Pascale Edouard, Deeonna Farr, Robert LaChausse, Karen Mancera-Cuevas, Jestina Wolo
- Section Council: Asrat Amnie, Karen H. Kim Yeary
- PHEHP Student Liaison: Belinda-Rose Young
- PHEHP Governing Council Vacancy: We have one vacant PHEHP Governing Council position to replace an unfulfilled term. This will include representing PHEHP at this year’s Annual Meeting and next year’s. The term will begin as soon as elections are complete and end on Nov. 14, 2019. To complete a candidate statement, please visit the following link: https://ampublichealth.wufoo.com/forms/zb4ab5r0pc6c31/. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me or Elsa Greer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Connecting with Section Members
Many of you have asked us how to engage with or send out information to Section members throughout the year. One great way to do that is to access the Bulletin Board in APHA Connect! Simply visit http://bit.ly/PHEHPBulletinBoard, and log in with your APHA credentials. From there you can respond to posts by other PHEHP members or create your own discussion.
Be sure to like us on Facebook (@APHA.PHEHP), and follow us on Twitter (@APHA_PHEHP) and Instagram (@apha.phehp).
Some of you have sent postings and events to the Section email listserv. As PHEHP is a very large Section and APHA emails can get excessive, we are reserving the listerv for Section- or APHA-related information only. Every month, we will do our best to share these postings with you through this News & Events page!
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us at email@example.com. Please find below a compilation of events/postings from your fellow Section members:
Get social! PHEHP has an active presence online, and our online resources are a great way to connect with us.
Get involved in the Public Health Education and Health Promotion Section!
If you have selected the Public Health Education and Health Promotion Section of APHA as your Section
affiliation, we encourage you to actively participate in Section activities. If you are interested in serving on a Section committee or work group, please contact the committee chair listed below.
Advocacy | Elaine Auld
Awards | Stuart Usdan & Christine Hackman
Booth | Ying Li
Health Communication | Alison Teitelbaum
Materials Contest | Cedric Harville
Membership | Meg Sheppard
News & Events | Andrea P. Medeiros
Nominations | Rod Lew
Program | Ashley Walker
Resolutions | Andrea Lowe
Social | Ranelle L. Brew
Student Work Group | Cedric Harville
Website/Social Media/Communication | Sherie Lou Santos
If you have any questions, please contact Membership Committee Chair Meg Sheppard.
Have items you'd like to submit for this page? Please contact Andrea P. Medeiros or Sherie Lou Santos.