- Are you working to improve health and safety conditions in the workplace?
- Have you or has anyone you know ever suffered from job-related illness or injury?
- Are you concerned with workplace reproductive hazards, ergonomics, child labor, hazardous chemicals, lead, noise, stress, workplace violence and international occupational health issues?
- Are you interested in OSHA reform, workers' compensation and safe staffing regulations?
If you can answer “yes” to any of the these questions, membership in the Occupational Health and Safety Section will interest you!
APHA gives us a voice in national and global debates on issues that impact the health of workers, our population and our planet.
Our Section is multidisciplinary.
- Our members include occupational health specialists, occupational physicians, union organizers, occupational and industrial hygienists, safety professionals, nurses, educators, administrators, epidemiologists and attorneys.
We help determine APHA's occupational health and safety policies and priorities.
- Through Section-developed resolutions and position papers, our members have a voice in directly and indirectly influencing national public health policy.
- Recent Section-initiated resolutions have addressed risks related to lead exposure, occupational transmission of HIV, surveillance of occupational disease and injury, child labor, ergonomics, job stress and workers' compensation.
- We provide input concerning scientific and technical developments involving Section activities and expertise.
We plan and coordinate Section activities and events at the APHA Annual Meeting.
- Each year, the Section sponsors and co-sponsors about 40 sessions and forums at the Annual Meeting.
We have a long and storied history of fighting for the health and safety of workers.
- The Section recently celebrated its 100th anniversary!