10 Essential Public Health Services
The 10 Essential Public Health Services provide the framework for the National Public Health Performance Standards Program. Because the strength of a public health system rests on its capacity to effectively deliver the 10 Essential Public Health Services, the NPHPSP enables health systems to assess how well they perform the following:
- Monitor health status to identify community health problems.
- Diagnose and investigate health problems and health hazards in the community.
- Inform, educate and empower people about health issues.
- Mobilize community partnerships to identify and solve health problems.
- Develop policies and plans that support individual and community health efforts.
- Enforce laws and regulations that protect health and ensure safety.
- Link people to needed personal health services and assure the provision of health care when otherwise unavailable.
- Assure a competent public health and personal health care workforce.
- Evaluate effectiveness, accessibility and quality of personal and population-based health services.
- Research for new insights and innovative solutions to health problems.