References for Roots of Epidemic
- Public Health Approaches to the Prevention of Obesity (PHAPO), International Obesity Task Force (IOTF) (1998). The causal web. [WWW document] www.iotf.org/groups/phapo/causalweb.htm (Viewed 14 July, 2003).
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (2001). The Surgeon General's call to action to prevent and decrease overweight and obesity. [Rockville, MD]: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Public Health Service, Office of the Surgeon General. Available from: US GPO, Washington. [WWW document] www.surgeongeneral.gov/topics/obesity/ (Viewed 17 June, 2003).
- Gidding, S., Leibel, R., Daniels, S., Rosenbaum, M., Van Horn, L., & G. Marx (1996). A statement for healthcare professionals from the Committee on Atherosclerosis and Hypertension in the Young of the Council on Cardiovascular Disease in the Young and the Nutrition Committee, American Heart Association. Circulation, 94 , 3383-3387. [WWW document] www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=1259 (Viewed 1 July, 2003).
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (2000, November). Healthy People 2010. 2nd ed . With Understanding and Improving Health and Objectives for Improving Health . 2 vols. Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office. [WWW document] www.healthypeople.gov/document/ (Viewed 26, June 2003).
- Enns, C., Mickle, S. & J. Goldman (U.S. Department of Agriculture Research Service) (2002). Trends in food and nutrient intake by children in the United States. Family Economics and Nutrition Review, 14 (2), 56-68.
- French, S., Story, M., Fulkerson, J. & A. Gerlach (2003 July). Food environment in secondary schools: A la carte, vending machines, and food policies and practices. American Journal of Public Health, 93 (7), 1161-1167.
- Kubik, M., Lytle, L., Hannan, P., Perry, C. & M. Story (2003, July). The association of the school food environment with dietary behaviors of young adolescents. American Journal of Public Health, 93 (7), 1168-1173.
- The Lancet (2002 September). Selling to – and selling out – children. The Lancet, 360 (9938), 100.
- Pressler, M. (2003 July). Survey links obesity with food proportions. The Washington Post . [WWW document] www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A8383-2003Jul17?language=printer (Viewed 18, July 2003).
- Dietz, W., Bland, M., Gortmaker, S., Molloy, M. & T. Schmid (2002). Policy tools for the childhood obesity epidemic. The Journal of Law, Medicine, & Ethics, 30 (3, Supplement), 83-87.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (2003). Factors contributing to obesity. [WWW document] www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/obesity/ (Viewed 14 July, 2003).
- Sandberg, J. & S. Hofferth (2001). Changes in children's time with parents: United States, 1981-1997. Demography, 38 (3), 423-436.
- Kimm, S., Glynn, N., Kriska, A., Barton, B., Kronsberg, S., Daniels, S., Crawford, P., Sabry, Z. & K. Liu (2002 September). Decline in physical activity in black girls and white girls during adolescence. New England Journal of Medicine, 347 (10), 709-715.
- Maffeis, C. (2000 September ). Aetiology of overweight and obesity in children and adolescents. European Journal of Pediatrics, 159 (Supp 1), S35-S44.
- Farley, T. & D. Cohen (2001). Fixing a fat nation. The Washington Monthly . [WWW document] www.washingtonmonthly.com (Viewed 17 July, 2003).
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (2001). The Surgeon General's call to action to prevent and decrease overweight and obesity – Fact sheet: Overweight in children and adolescents. [Rockville, MD]: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Public Health Service, Office of the Surgeon General. [WWW document] www.surgeongeneral.gov/topics/obesity/ (Viewed 21 April, 2003).
- Torgan, C. (2002 June). Childhood obesity on the rise. The NIH Word on Health. [WWW document] www.nih.gov/news/WordonHealth/jun2002/
childhoodobesity.htm (Viewed 30 June, 2003).
- French, S., Story, M., & R. Jeffery (2001). Environmental influences on eating and physical activity. Annual Reviews of Public Health , 22, 309-335.
- Inui, A., & M. Meguid (2003 July). Cachexia and obesiy : Two sides of one coin ? Current Opinion in Clinical Nutrition and Metabolic Care, 6 (4), 395-399.
- Ebbeling, C. B., Pawlak, D. B., & D. S. Ludwig (2002 August). Childhood obesity: public-health crisis, common sense cure. The Lancet, 360 (9331), 473-482.
- Mencimer, S. (2000, June 16-22). Hiding in plain sight. Washington City Paper. [WWW document] www.washingtoncitypaper.com/archives/ cover/2000/print_cover0616.html (Visited 25 May, 2003).
- Kumanyika, S. K. (2001). Minisymposium on obesity: Overview and some strategic considerations. Annual Reviews of Public Health, 22 , 293-308.
- Hodges, E. (2003). A primer on early childhood obesity and parental influence. Pediatric Nursing, 29 (1), 13-16.
- Birch, L. & K. Davidson (2001 August). Family environmental factors influencing the developing behavioral controls of food intake and childhood overweight. Pediatric Clinics of North America, 48 (4), 893-907.
- Bianchi, S. (1990 June). America's children : mixed prospects. Popular Bulletin, 45 (1), 1-42.
- Lissau, I., & T. Sorensen (1994 February). Parental neglect during childhood and increased risk of obesity in young adulthood. The Lancet, 343 (8893), 324-327.
- Doherty, W. (2000). Overscheduled kids, underconnected families: The research evidence. [WWW document] http://puttingfamilyfirst.info/html/research.html (Viewed 18, July, 2003).
- McLellan, F. (2002 September). Marketing and advertising: Harmful to children's health. The Lancet, 360 (9938), 100.
- Neumark-Sztainer, D., Hannan, P., Story, M., Croll, J., & C. Perry (2003 March). Family meal patterns: Associations with sociodemographic characteristics and improved dietary intake among adolescents. Journal of the American Dietetic Association, 103 (3), 317-322.
- Morrison, J., Payne, G., Barton, B., Khoury, P., & P. Crawford (1994, November). Mother-daughter correlations of obesity and cardiovascular disease risk factors in black and white households: The NHLBI Growth and Health study. American Journal of Public Health, 84 (11), 1761-1767.
- Stop Commercial Exploitation of Children (2001). Facts about the effects of advertising and marketing on children. [WWW document] www.commercialexploitation.com/articles/
congressional_briefing_facts.htm (Viewed 17 July, 2003).
- The Television Project (2003). Basic data about television watching. [WWW document] www.tvp.org/Handouts%20pages/basic_data_txt.html (Viewed 17 July, 2003).
- Coon, K. & K. Tucker (2002 October). Television and children's consumption pattern. A review of the literature. Minerva Pediatrics, 54 (5), 423-436.
- Kotz, K. & M. Story (1994 November). Food advertisements during children's Saturday morning television programming: are they consistent with dietary recommendations? Journal of the American Dietetic Association, 94 (11), 1296-1300.
- National Alliance for Nutrition and Activity (NANA) (2003). Obesity and other diet- and inactivity-related diseases: National impact, costs, and solutions. [WWW document] www.cspinet.org/nutritionpolicy/ BriefingbookFY04.PPT (Viewed 18 July, 2003).
- Nader, P., & National Institute of Child Health and Human Development Study of Early Child Care and Youth Development Network (2003 February). Frequency and intensity of activity of third-grade children in physical education. Archives of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine, 157 (2), 185-190.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (2003). Healthy youth: An investment in our nation's future 2003. [WWW document] www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/aag/aag_dash.htm (Viewed 16 July, 2003).
- National Institute of Mental Health (2002). Brief notes on the mental health of children and adolescents. [WWW document] www.nimh.nih.gov/publicat/childnotes.cfm (Viewed 14, July 2003).
- Maynard, L., Galuska, D., Blanck, H., & M. Serdula (2003 May). Maternal perceptions of weight status on children. Pediatrics, 111 (5 Part 2), 1226-1231.
- Perese, E., & K. Perese (2003 May). Health problems of women with severe mental illness. Journal of the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners, 15 (5), 212-219.
- Mustillo, S., Worthman, C., Erkanli, A., Keeler, G., Angold, A., & E. Costello (2003 April). Obesity and psychiatric disorder: developmental trajectories.
- Pine, D., Goldstein, R., Wolk, S., & M. Weissman (2001 May). The association between childhood depression and adulthood body mass index. Pediatrics, 107 (5), 1049-1056.