References for What We Know
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (2000, November). Healthy People 2010. 2nd ed. With Understanding and Improving Health and Objectives for Improving Health . 2 vols. Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office. [WWW document] www.healthypeople.gov/document/ tableofcontents.htm (Viewed 26, June 2003).
- National Center for Health Statistics (2002). Prevalence of overweight among children and adolescents: United States, 1999-2000. [WWW document] www.cdc.gov/nchs/products/pubs/ pubd/hestats/overwght99.htm (Viewed 4 June, 2003).
- National Center for Health Statistics (2002). Clinical growth charts. [WWW document] www.cdc.gov/nchs/about/major/ nhanes/growthcharts/clinical_charts.htm (Viewed 4 June, 2003).
- National Center for Health Statistics (2002). Prevalence of overweight and obesity among adults: United States, 1999-2000. [WWW document] www.cdc.gov/nchs/products/pubs/ pubd/hestats/obese/obse99.htm (Viewed 4 June, 2003).
- McConnaughey, J. (2003, June 16). CDC Issues Diabetes Warning for Children. The Associated Press ( The Washington Post ) . [WWW document] www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A63360-2003Jun16?language=printer (Viewed 16 June, 2003).
- National Center for Health Statistics (8 October, 2002). Obesity still on the rise, new data show. [WWW document] www.cdc.gov/nchs/releases/02news/ obesityonrise.htm (Viewed 27 June, 2003).
- American Obesity Association (1999). Report on AOA cost study. [WWW document] www.obesity.org/research/cost_report.shtml (Viewed 27 June, 2003).
- Wang, G. & Dietz, W. H. (May 2002). Economic burden of obesity in youths aged 6 to 17 years: 1979-1999. Pediatrics, 109 (5).
- National Center for Health Statistics (2002). Health, United States, 2002 . With Chartbook on Trends in the Health of Americans . Hyattsville, Maryland. [WWW document] www.cdc.gov/nchs/hus.htm (Viewed 27 June, 2003).
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (2003). Preventing obesity and chronic diseases through good nutrition and physical activity. Preventing chronic diseases: Investing wisely in health . [WWW document] www.healthierus.gov/steps/summit/prevportfolio/PA-HHS.pdf (Viewed 9 June, 2003).
- Crawford, P. B., Story, M., Wang, M. C., Ritchie, L. D., & Z. I. Sabry (August 2001). Ethnic issues in the epidemiology of childhood obesity. Pediatric Clin North America, 48 (4), 855-878.
- Gidding, S., Leibel, R., Daniels, S., Rosenbaum, M., Van Horn, L., & G. Marx (1996). A statement for healthcare professionals from the Committee on Atherosclerosis and Hypertension in the Young of the Council on Cardiovascular Disease in the Young and the Nutrition Committee, American Heart Association. Circulation, 94 , 3383-3387. [WWW document] www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=1259 (Viewed 1 July, 2003).
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (2001). The Surgeon General's call to action to prevent and decrease overweight and obesity. [Rockville, MD]: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Public Health Service, Office of the Surgeon General. Available from: US GPO, Washington. [WWW document] www.surgeongeneral.gov/topics/ obesity/calltoaction/CalltoAction.pdf (Viewed 17 June, 2003).
- American Obesity Association (2002). Obesity in youth. [WWW document] www.obesity.org/subs/fastfacts/ obesity_youth.shtml (Viewed 3 June, 2003).
- Torgan, C. (2002 June). Childhood obesity on the rise. The NIH Word on Health. [WWW document] www.nih.gov/news/WordonHealth/ jun2002/childhoodobesity.htm (Viewed 30 June, 2003).
- Harris, E. & Y. Bronner (2001). Food Counts in the African American Community: Chartbook 2001. Baltimore, MD. Morgan State University.
- Rimm, I. J., & A. A. Rimm (1976). Association between juvenile onset obesity and severe adult obesity in 73,532 women. American Journal of Public Health, 66 (5), 479-481.
- Garnett, C. (2002 June). Keys to successful aging: Good habits and positive attitudes. The NIH Word on Health. [WWW document] www.nih.gov/news/WordonHealth/ jun2002/successfulaging.htm (Viewed 21 April, 2003).
- American Obesity Association (1998, November 25). Inclusion of Obesity in Disability Research. [WWW document] www.obesity.org/subs/disability/ NIDDR_Obesityincluded.shtml (Viewed 20 May, 2003).
- National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (2001, August 30). Asthma Basics. [WWW document] www.niaid.nih.gov/newsroom/ focuson/asthma01/basics.htm (Viewed 30 June, 2003).
- Von Mutius, E., Schwartz, J., Neas, L. M., Dockery, D., & S. T. Weiss (2001). Relation of body mass index to asthma and atopy in children: the National Health and Nutrition Examination Study III. Thorax, 56 (11), 835-838.
- Sorof, J. & S. Daniels (2002 October). Obesity hypertension in children: a problem of epidemic proportions. Hypertension, 40 (4), 441-447.
- American Heart Association (2003, March 6). Higher childhood blood pressure may be linked to obesity epidemic. [WWW document] www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=3009700 (Viewed 1 July, 2003).
- The Nemours Foundation (rev. by S. Gidding) (2001 February). Cholesterol and your child. [WWW document] http://kidshealth.org/parent/medical/heart/cholesterol.html (Viewed 1 July, 2003).
- Moran, R. (1999, February 15). Evaluation and treatment of childhood obesity. American Family Physician . [WWW document] www.aafp.org/afp/990215ap/861.html (Viewed 1 July, 2003).
- Strauss, R. (2000 January). Childhood obesity and self-esteem. Pediatrics, 105 (1), e15.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (2003 March). Preventing Heart Disease and Stroke: Addressing the Nation's Leading Killers. [WWW document] www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/aag/aag_cvd.htm (Viewed 30 June, 2003).
- National Cancer Institute (2001, September 24). Cancer facts: Obesity and cancer. [WWW document] www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/ factsheet/Risk/obesity (Viewed 1 July, 2003).
- National Library of Medicine and National Institutes of Health (2002). Medical encyclopedia: Gallbladder disease. [WWW document] www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ ency/article/001138.htm (Viewed 30 June, 2003).
- Schwimmer, J. B., Burwinkle, T., M., & J. W. Varni (2003 April). Health-related quality of life of severely obese children and adolescents. Journal of the American Medical Association, 289 (14), 1813-1819.
- National Alliance for Nutrition and Activity (2003). Obesity and other diet- and inactivity-related diseases: National impact, costs, and solutions. [WWW document] www.cspinet.org/nutritionpolicy/ BriefingbookFY04.PPT (Viewed 18 July, 2003).