Function and Responsibilities of the Affiliate Representative to the Governing Council (ARGC)
Recognizing that the affiliate president serves as the primary contact person between APHA and the affiliate, the ARGC assists the president in disseminating information received from APHA to the members of the affiliate governing body and vice versa. The ARGC is to represent the affiliate as an informed voice, on the APHA Governing Council, and is responsible for maintaining liaison with the ARGC's of other affiliates. The ARGC may serve on the Committee on Affiliates (CoA), if elected, and as such shall be responsible for maintaining liaison with and coordinating regional ARGC activities with respect to Committee on Affiliates recommendations and actions.
The ARGC is expected to assist the affiliate president and the affiliate to support and stimulate the APHA/Affiliate relationship by:
- Ensuring that APHA is informed on a timely basis of all changes in the affiliate leadership.
- Encouraging and promoting affiliate leadership participation in those APHA activities specifically designed for affiliates, i.e., President's-Elect meeting, Affiliate Leadership meeting.
- Working with the affiliate president to ensure timely payment of the annual APHA dues assessment.
- Being informed and prepared with the policy direction of the affiliate in order to effectively represent the affiliate within the APHA Governing Council. Resolutions and position papers and proposed Constitution and Bylaws changes will be reviewed with the affiliate governing body prior to the APHA annual meeting.
- Assisting APHA, in cooperation with the affiliate president and legislative chair, with legislative advocacy and implementation of approved APHA policies and resolutions.
- Assisting the affiliate president in preparing and submitting affiliate responses to the following routine processes carried out by APHA:
- Awards nominations;
- membership deployment;
- requests for and review of resolutions and position papers.
- Encouraging the participation of the affiliate in the development and submission of mini-project proposals to APHA.
- Attending the Affiliate Leadership meeting, ARGC caucus(es), and the two (2) scheduled meetings of the Governing Council preceding and during the APHA Annual Meeting.
- Maintaining an ongoing communication with other ARGC's and the Committee on Affiliates Regional ARGC's.
- The following criteria apply to the ARGC:
- The ARGC must be a member of APHA and a member of an affiliate in good standing with APHA.
- The ARGC should serve a three (3) year term.
- The ARGC should be a voting member of the Affiliate governing body or executive committee/board.