OHS Programs and Activities:
2014 APHA Annual Meeting:
The 2014 APHA Annual Meeting will be held in New Orleans, LA, (November 15-19, 2014). The theme of the meeting was "Think Global, Act Local: Best Practices Around the World".
The OHS Section seeks high quality abstracts related to worker safety and health for the 142nd Annual Meeting in New Orleans. Please click here for more information on abstract submission. Deadline for submitting abstracts is February 11, 2014.
James P. Keogh Scholarships Awards will be available for the 2014 meeting. See the Student Application and Union/Worker Organization Representative Application for more information. All applications must be submitted by June 30, 2014.
We are also seeking nominations for the OHS Section's Scientific Awards to be recognized at the 2014 Annual Meeting. The OHS will award the Scientific Lecture Award to an occupational health and safety researcher who has made significant contributions to the field. The OHS will also award two peer-reviewed research articles/reports published in calendar year 2013. The awarded papers will present innovative research approaches to address current worker health and safety needs. Please indicate in your nomination for the lecture award the scientific contributions of the nominee. A biosketch of the nominee is preferable. Nominations for scientific papers should include a brief explanation of why you believe the papers deserve the award, making clear your assessment of the contributions that the authors make to our understanding of the health and safety of workers. The deadline for submissions is March 1, 2014. You should forward your nominations to the Award Committee Chair Eduardo Siqueira at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2013 APHA Annual Meeting:
The 2013 APHA Annual Meeting was held in Boston, MA, (November 2-6, 2013) and turned out to be a great success. The theme of the meeting was "Think Global, Act Local: Best Practices Around the World".
The final OHS Section program for the 2013 APHA Annual Meeting can be found here.
2013 OHS Section Awards:
The OHS Section of APHA was proud to announce the 2013 OHS Section Award recipients. The OHS Section Awards were presented at our Awards Luncheon during the APHA Annual Meeting in Boston.
The 2013 OHS Section Awards were:
- Alice Hamilton Award: Letitia "Tish" Davis, ScD [Director, Occupational Health Surveillance Program, MA Department of Public Health]
- Lorin Kerr Award: Sharon Beard, MS [Industrial Hygienist/Program Administrator, National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, NIH, DHHS]
- Tony Mazzocchi Award: Warehouse Workers United www.warehouseworkersunited.org/
- Special Award: Occupational Health Internship Program (OHIP) www.aoec.org/OHIP
2012 APHA Annual Meeting:
The 2012 APHA Annual Meeting was held in San Francisco, CA (October 27-31, 2012).The OHS Section created a Schedule of Events that listed all of the OHS-related sessions and events for the Annual Meeting.
2012 OHS Section Awards:
The OHS Section of APHA was proud to announce the 2012 OHS Section Award recipients. The OHS Section Awards were presented at our Awards Luncheon during the APHA Annual Meeting in San Francisco.
The 2012 OHS Section Awards were:
- Alice Hamilton Award: Greg R. Wagner [MSHA]
- Lorin Kerr Award: Jessica Martinez [National COSH]
- Tony Mazzocchi Award: Janet Foley [NY State CSEA]
- International Health and Safety Award: Yuyung Chen [Self-empowerment Service Center for Disabled Persons in Zhong County of Chongqing Municipality, China and ANROEV (Asian Network for the Rights of Occupational and Environmental Victims]
2011 APHA Annual Meeting:
The 2011 APHA Annual Meeting in Washington DC (October 29-November 2, 2011) was a tremendous success for our OHS Section! The official full program for the annual meeting and an easy-to-read guide provide an overview of the 2011 OHS section program and activities held during the meeting.
2011 James P. Keogh Scholarship Winners:
The OHS Section was pround to announce the 2011 James P. Keogh scholarship recipients. The award included payment for a one-year membership to APHA, registration fee for the APHA annual meeting held October 29-November 2, 2011, in Washington DC, a ticket to the OHS Section awards luncheon, and a $300 stipend. The scholarship program's goal is to strengthen the participation of students and union representatives in APHA. We recognize that we need the involvement of workers and new health and safety professionals to make our workplaces and communities healthy and safe. The scholarships were awarded to the following graduate-level students:
- Ashley R. Kissinger - Masters in Public Health, University of California, Los Angeles
- Gaspar Rivera - MD, University of California, Irvine, and Masters in Public Health, University of California, Los Angeles
- Hanifa M. Denny - Doctorate in Occupational Health, University of South Florida
- Eseosa Orumwense - Masters in Public Health, University of Illinois, Chicago
- Sonja Rivera - Masters in Public Health, Tufts University
- Monika Galecki - Masters in Public Health, Drexel University
2011 OHS Section Awards:
The OHS Section of APHA was proud to announce the 2011 OHS Section Award recipients. The OHS Section Awards were presented at our Awards Luncheon during the APHA Annual Meeting at the Washington, DC Convention Center. Read more about the Awardees here.
The 2011 OHS Section Awards are:
- Alice Hamilton Award: Martin Cherniack, MD, MPH
- Lorin Kerr Award: LaMont Byrd, MS, CIH
- Lorin Kerr Award: Amy K. Liebman, MA, MPA
- Tony Mazzocchi Award: Barbara Rahke
- International Health and Safety Award: Salvador Moncada i Lluis, MD, MPH, PhD
2010 APHA Annual Meeting:
OHS Program and Events:
The Occupational Health and Safety Section was proud to present the OHS Program and Agenda for the 2010 APHA Annual Meeting held November 6-10, 2010, in Denver, Colorado. Some of the highlights of the 2010 meeting included:
- 230 presenters in 43 separate sessions
- a special intersectional track co-developed with the Environmental Section and others; see the intersectional track program guide and "at-a-glance" guide for more information
- the 2010 Worker Health and Safety National Summit held on November 6; see the Summit Agenda for more information
- great venues and program for our social event, awards lunch, and Tuesday party
- new formats that included more oral presentations
View the 2010 OHS Program and the 2010 OHS "At-A-Glance" Program Guide for more information!
2010 OHS Section Awards:
The OHS Section of APHA presented the 2010 OHS Section Awards at our Awards Luncheon on November 9, 2010, at the Denver Convention Center. Click here for more information about the 2010 award winners.
The 2010 OHS Section Awards were:
- Alice Hamilton Award: Sherry Baron, MD, MPH
- Lorin Kerr Award: Tom O'Connor, MPH
- Tony Mazzocchi Award: Stephen A. Mitchell, BA
- Tony Mazzocchi Award: Wally Reardon, BA
- International Health and Safety Award: Jeong-ok Kong, MD
2010 Occupational Health Internship Program (OHIP) Student Presentation session:
Following the Annual OHS Section Awards Luncheon, 2010 OHIP students presented their summer projects. The student presenters were:
- Annie Fehrenbracher, MPH candidate, UCLA
- Maria Rangel, BA, UCLA
- Wesley Tang, MPH candidate, Drexel University
- Diana Flores, MPH candidate, UCLA
- Catherine Clark, MPH candidate, Loma Linda University
- Christopher Ng, MPH candidate, UCLA
Click here for more information on their presentations!
2010 James P. Keogh Scholarship Winners:
The OHS Section awarded scholarships to the following graduate-level students and local labor H&S representatives:
Congratulations to our winners, and thanks to the other outstanding applicants. These scholarships covered registration for the 2010 APHA Annual Meeting in Denver, a one-year APHA membership, and $300.00 for conference-related expenses.
- Catherine Clark - MPH Student, Loma Linda University
- Anne Fehrenbacher - MPH/PhD Student, UCLA School of Public Health
- Stephen Mitchell - United Auto Workers Local 974, East Peoria, IL
Previous scholarship awardees are listed here.
2009 APHA Annual Meeting:
The OHS Section proposed and saw the adoption of three new policy resolutions:
Scientific Sessions and Social Activities:
Along with advocating for these policy changes, the OHS Section had a robust program of scientific sessions and social activities:
Farmworkers Feed Us All Tote Bag is available for a $20 donation to the James P. Keogh Student Scholarship Fund. Contact Amy Liebman or Celeste Monforton.
Letters and Briefs:
Letters to key Obama Administration officials on H&S priorities for 2010, following up on their participation at the 2009 APHA Annual Meeting:
Letter from APHA Executive Director Georges Benjamin, MD, FACP urging support of existing policies on respiratory protection for healthcare workers from H1N1.
Letter expressing concern about the insensitive manner in which CBS morning show's hosts addressed a worksite forklift incident.
Issue brief in response to latebreaker resolution offer at APHA annual meeting on Nov 8, 2009.
National Council for Occupational Safety and Health:
In January 2009, the OHS Section released the "Protecting Workers on the Job" agenda, a collaborative project with the National Council for Occupational Safety and Health. The agenda highlights seven priorities for federal action to improve our nation's worker health and safety programs. They are:
- Put worker health and safety first
- Ensure health and safety protection for all workers
- Count all occupational injuries and illnesses
- Increase worker participation
- Eliminate disparities
- Reform workers' compensation programs
- Reduce or eliminate widespread use of toxic chemicals
Members of the OHS Section and the 90 organizations that endorsed the platform will be working together to advance worker health and safety as part of a larger effort to improve the health of communities and our environment. The platform is also available in Spanish.