Name: Malini Devi Persad
School Attended While Participating in the Student Fellows Program: SUNY Downstate College of Medicine
Contact E-mail: email@example.com
Areas/Topics of Interest in MCH:
· Women’s Health Policy
· Women and adolescent reproductive health
Current Research/Area of Study:
- Case report on failed contraception leading to heterotopic pregnancy with monochorionic monoamniotic twin gestation
- Quantitative research exploring the methods of mercury exposure in pregnancy women
- Qualitative research exploring factors influencing adolescent sexual views and behaviors
o Persad, M.D., & Mensinger, J.L. (2008). Maternal breastfeeding attitudes: Association with breastfeeding intent and sociodemographics among urban primiparas. Journal of Community Health, 33, 53-60.
- Abstract publications/presentations:
o Persad, M.D., Mensinger, J.L. (October 2008). Food insecurity, dietary quality, & psychosocial factors among urban pregnant women. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the American Public Health Association. Selected for the Greg Alexander Outstanding Student Paper Session and won first place cash prize. San Diego, CA.
o Persad, M.D. (May 2007). Maternal breastfeeding attitudes: Association with breastfeeding intent and sociodemographics among urban primiparas. Paper presented at the Public Health Association of New York City’s Annual Student Conference. New York, NY.
o SUNY Downstate Alumni Fund Scholarship 2008
o 136th Annual American Public Health Association Conference: First Place Winner of the Maternal and Child Health’s Seventh Annual Outstanding Student Paper Session
Current Work: Third year medical student
Future Work: Aspiring to be an obstetrician/gynecologist specialized in maternal and fetal health