School Attended While Participating in the Student Fellows Program:
University of Texas School of Public Health
Areas/Topics of Interest in MCH:
· Breastfeeding/Infant Feeding Practices
· Evidence Based Birth Practices
· Family Planning
· Adolescent Health
Current Research/Area of Study:
I just finished my first year of the DrPH program in Community Health Practice. I am currently working for the NIH CTSA Community Engagement core assisting communities in 5 counties surrounding San Antonio with community based health assessments, one of which focused on teen pregnancy and birth in a rural area. For my dissertation research, I plan to examine the hospital policies, physician characteristics, and administrative culture that influence unnecessary cesareans.
Accomplishments: Recipient of the Elisabeth Bennet Award for Excellence in Maternal and Child Health at Tulane University School of Public Health
· Graduate Research Associate for The University of Texas HSC San Antonio NIH CTSA Community Engagement Core (http://iims.uthscsa.edu/corc.html )
· Graduate Assistant for UT School of Public Health Evaluation Subcontract of ARRA Communities Putting Prevention to Work Grant to City of San Antonio Department of Health (http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/arra/#5 )
· Assessment Chair for Healthy Futures TX (http://www.healthyfuturestx.org/ )
Future Work: I plan to stay in South Texas for my career. Ideally, I would like to continue to work in translational research empowering communities to have an active voice in research on maternal and child health topics and linking communities with emerging research findings to improve their daily lives.