Name: Danica Boyle Orsino
School Attended While Participating in the Student Fellows Program: University of Iowa
Contact E-mail: email@example.com
Areas/Topics of Interest in MCH:
· Access to care (policy, financing and safety net services); this of interest to me in the overall population, but with a special interest in MCH issues
· Postpartum depression, especially the social context
· Child welfare, child abuse/neglect, children and youth in the foster care system
· Impacts of incarceration on families
Current Research/Area of Study:
· I am working on my MPH practicum (capstone project) this semester with a visiting nurse services organization. My projects are focused on their Healthy Start program.
· David A. Winston Health Policy Scholarship Recipient (2009/2010)
· Recipient of two scholarships from the University of Iowa Department of Health Management and Policy
Current Work: I have been involved with a variety of MCH, health administration, and policy work activities during my graduate studies. Currently I work at the Center for Disabilities and Development, which is part of the University of Iowa Children’s Hospital. I work on a variety of administrative projects related to improving services provided to children and adults with disabilities. I also currently work with one of my public health faculty mentors on MCH program evaluation projects.
Future Work: After graduation in May, I will be working as a postgraduate fellow in healthcare administration with Kaiser Permanente of Northern California. I will complete several rotations, including with the Hospitals/Health Plan (my placement has women and children’s center connected with the hospital!) and with the medical group. I am very excited for this opportunity and will be continually looking for ways to integrate my MCH and public health training with my administrative work.