MCH Section 2007 Strategic Plan
MATERNAL AND CHILD HEALTH SECTION
2007-2010 Strategic Planning
GOALS FOR THE SECTION:
- Influence national MCH policies
- Assure that APHA is positioned to play an active role in MCH policy
- Submit timely and appropriate position papers related to practice, program, research and funding.
- Place MCH professionals into APHA policy positions
- Develop leadership within the Section
- Communicate with members about policy and programmatic issues
AREAS OF FOCUS:
Increase MCH’s influence within APHA
- Use technology (e.g. Blogs) to raise emerging or persistent MCH issues
- Recommend specific legislative policy agendas to the Government Relation staff.
- Become more involved with the affiliates.
- Form a task force to work on marketing strategies for specific target audiences such as lapsed members, affiliate members, sister organizations, students and faculty.
- Increase MCH presence at the Annual meeting:
o New booth
o Develop new collateral material.
o Session moderators will include information about the Section during introductions
o Have a printed list of MCH session available at each session and at the booth.
o Participate in the APHA orientations
- Retention ideas included:
o Student to student contact
o Committee chairs providing a personal contact to new members
o Sending a membership application to abstract reviewers
o Specifically follow up with presenters – send them an invitation to attend the membership meeting.
- Develop opportunities for APHA fellows and authors to become more active.
- Engaging old and new members in policy development
- Active involvement at JPC or Action Board about specific policies.
- Develop action around emerging issues such as:
- development of the MCH workforce,
- health inequities,
- preconception health and care,
- access to comprehensive risk appropriate care,
- normal birth,
- preventing iatrogenic preterm birth,
- maternal mortality,
- children with special health care needs.
- Connect members with ideas - mentors
- Promote new responsibility for Finance & Policy Committee
- Develop a cadre of members to review proposed policies for the Governing Council.
- Develop a core group of members who are experts in formal policy develop that can provide TA to individual interested in developing a policy paper.
- Encourage more section involvement
- Encourage members to respond to the action alerts
- Develop new ways to broaden the MCH influence within APHA
- Regularly post MCH issues on the APHA blog
- Initiate Pod Casts, webinars, etc.
- Develop advocacy skills among members
- Develop feedback loop
- Identify policies that have made a difference then highlight them in our newsletter, etc.
- Celebrate successes