August 2010 Minutes

American Public Health Association
Disability Section Minutes
Monthly Meeting
Conference Call

August 5, 2010



Council members present: Anthony Cahill (Accessibility Co-Chair), Roberta S. Carlin (Communications Chair), Willi Horner-Johnson (Treasurer), Gloria Krahn (Governing Council Representative), Stephen French Gilson (Chair), Jennifer Rowland (Awards Chair), Meg Ann Traci (Secretary), Anjali Truitt (Student Liaison), and Kiyoshi Yamaki (Program Chair-Elect).
Council members not present: George Jesien (Membership Chair), Catherine Leigh Graham (Accessibility Co-Chair), H. Stephen Kaye (Program Chair), James H. Rimmer (Past Chair/Elections Chair), Vince Campbell (Policy Chair), Charles Drum (Governing Council Representative), and Jana Petersen (Student Liaison Faculty Supervisor).
******************************************************
Opening: Chair Stephen Gilson opened the conference call meeting at 12:04 p.m. (EST) prompting roll call.

Minutes: Review and approval of the July meeting minutes were postponed until the September meeting.

Treasurer, Willi Horner-Johnson
CDC awarded funds to the Disability Section at a similar level to last year’s level.. Banquet payments for catering at the APHA Annual Meetings in Denver are due tomorrow. After discussion, Executive Council members suggested that food be brought in at the beginning of the meeting with a catering request to leave the food, but cover it during the business portion of the meeting. Willi will email Stephen the catering information, and Stephen will forward it to APHA. Willi is considering how to provide minimal catering for the mentoring sessions given the $300 minimum requirement for catering orders.
 
Chair’s Forum, Stephen Gilson
Stephen reported that to date, there were no submissions to the Chair’s Forum’s Call for Abstracts. The submission deadline is August 7th. Stephen, Roberta, and others will disseminate the announcement again.

Student Liason, Anjali Truitt
Please respond to the survey designed to match Disability Council members as mentors with student members.
Go to:https://catalysttools.washington.edu/webq/survey/artruitt/109356/6a06729f7f8b4f38af394e172976902f
Anjali emailed student members about a paper re-solicitation process.


Awards, Jennifer Rowland
Jennifer reported that the Awards Committee had developed draft criteria for an Advocacy Award and an appreciation award. She asked Councilors to provide her with input ASAP. 

DRAFT [emailed by Jennifer Rowland on 8/4/2010 at 9:31PM.]
Advocacy Award: (It is proposed that…) This award is presented to a person who has demonstrated excellence in the area of advocacy to improve the health and quality of life for people with disabilities.

DRAFT
Eligibility Criteria
  • Anyone in the field of disability and public health may be nominated.
  • Evidence documenting a nominee’s significant contribution in the area of advocacy to improve the health and quality of life for people with disabilities must be provided in the nomination statement.
  • The nominee does not have to be a member of the Disability Section of APHA at the time of nomination.
APHA Section Appreciation Award: (It is proposed that…) This award is presented to an APHA section that has worked with the Disability Section on issues important to the fields of disability and public health. Nominations for this award will come from current members of the Disability Section Council.

Program, Steve Kaye
See:
http://apha.confex.com/apha/138am/webprogram/DISF.html
The Governing Council meeting is on Saturday, November 6th from 4:30 to 6:30 PM, to accommodate a scheduling conflict.

Accessibility, Catherine Graham/Tony Cahill
Tony reported that he and Catherine, with Jim Rimmer, continue to work on the accessibility of the Section Pavilion at the APHA Annual Meetings in Denver and on APHAs adoption of best practices of including Deaf participants in conferences. However, he did not have much progress to report. Stephen mentioned that Fran Atkinson was attempting to schedule an in-person meeting.

Policy, Vince Campbell
UNRCPD Ratification still awaits Senate…Letter going out…Do we want to undertake any Gloria said following up with Dave Morrisey about international convention to see what are the next steps… He is spearheading the  Could he speak on the next call; Chair’s forum encouragement… ASAP submission.

Membership, George Jesien
The membership count is still headed toward 300. Stephen’s welcoming letter to new members and Anjali’s letter to student members have been submitted to APHA for distribution.  George will start organizing the booth and staffing for the APHA Annual Meetings in Denver. Stephen is drafting a survey about membership.

Closing:
Stephen Gilson closed the meeting at 12:55 p.m. (EST). The next Disability Section Council meeting will be held September 2nd at 12:00 p.m. (EST). Minutes submitted by Secretary Meg Traci.