CHPPD annual business meeting (“Strategy Meeting”): Sunday, October 30 from 10-11:30am
, room TBA. This is our one chance to interact in-person during the year, so please join us. This meeting is open to all members wanting to learn more and/or get more involved in our section.
• CHPPD “New Member Orientation and Student Committee” meeting: Sunday, October 30 from 2-3:30pm, room TBA. This meeting is run by the Membership and Student Committees, but is open to all to learn more about APHA and CHPPD, and network with new/student members.
• The CHPPD Social Determinants of Health Workgroup’s two-part session follow-up to last year’s session on Health Equity. This is a call to action to Implement Health Equity 2020 in concert with Healthy People 2020, the National Partnerships for Action to End Health Disparities, and Health Reform through the Affordable Care Act. See the flyer here and share with your colleagues: http://tinyurl.com/HealthEquity2020Flyer. The two sessions include:
a. "Health Equity 2020" takes place Monday, October 31 between 12:30 - 2 PM, WCC Room 146 A, and features US DHHS Assistant Secretary of Health Howard Koh, Massachusetts Department of Public Health Commissioner John Auerbach, MBA; Deputy Assistant Secretary for Minority Health Garth Graham, MD, MPH; ASTHO ED Paul Jarris, MD, MBA; and Secretary's Advisory Committee on National Health Promotion & Disease Prevention Objectives for 2020 Leaders Jonathan Fielding, MD, MPH, MBA and Shiriki Kumanyika, PhD, MPH.
b. "Implementing Health Equity 2020 at the Front Line" takes place November 1, between 2:30 - 4 PM, WCC Room 147A and features Deputy Assistant Secretary for Minority Health Garth Graham, MD, MPH; Texas Health Institute Senior Research Scientist Dennis Andrulis, PhD; APIAHF President & CEO Kathy Lim Ko; National Hispanic Medical Association President & CEO Elena Rios, MD, MPH; and University of New Mexico's Center for Native American Health Director Gayle Dine-Chacon, MD.
• Here’s where you can find a listing of all of our wonderful CHPPD sessions: http://apha.confex.com/apha/139am/webprogram/CHPPD.html
(Disclaimer: APHA is not responsible for the development, implementation, or coordination of off-site events sponsored by APHA Sections during the Annual Meeting. The listing of off-site events here is for informational purposes only and does not imply affiliation, cooperation or endorsement of such venues, hotels, activities or events by APHA.)
Overview of important APHA activities:
• APHA Opening Session: Sunday, October 30 from 12-2pm
• APHA’s Joint Policy Committee Public Hearings: Sunday October 30 from 3:30- 6pm. We need CHPPD representatives to attend each of the 4 breakout groups and report back to the Sunday morning CHPPD business meeting. This is a great way to hear what policies are up for voting, and learn about the APHA policy system.
• “Nailing Your Policy: Creating APHA's Policy Buddy System” (session 3007), Monday, October 31 from 8:30-10am. Start thinking about the policy you want to submit in 2012 now! The annual meeting is an excellent time to start conceptualizing your policy and finding collaborators and supporters. Our CHPPD Policy and Resolutions Committee and mentors who have successfully submitted APHA policies in the past are here to support you.
• APHA Intersectional Council and Committee on Affiliates’ Candidate’s Forum: Monday, October 31 from 7-9am, room TBA. Come hear from the candidates running for APHA offices.