APHA Book Club
On Aug. 14, 2014 APHA held its first Book Club meeting featuring Opening General Session Speaker Isabel Wilkerson's "The Warmth of Other Suns: The Epic Story of America's Great Migration."
Tell us your story for a chance to meet Wilkerson
The story of migration is a universal story. America is a country of immigrants – a country where many people have come seeking a better, healthier life. Share your family's story of migration. Stories will be open to the public and may be shared on APHA's Annual Meeting blog.
One lucky individual will be selected from the submitted stories to meet Wilkerson after the Opening General Session. The individual must be registered for the Annual Meeting. Stories must be submitted by Sept. 30.
Submit your story!
Book Club Archives
The book club conversation was held via a Facebook Chat, and pictures were uploaded to Instagram and Twitter including the hashtag #APHAReads. Check out the archived discussion:
- What surprised you most about "The Warmth of Other Suns?" Read replies.
- What do you think the biggest public health issue is in "The Warmth of Other Suns?" Read replies.
- Which character's story did you find the most interesting? Read replies.
- How does the book speak to the Annual Meeting theme of "Healthography: How Where You Live Affects Your Health and Well-being?" Read replies.
- In what ways was the Great Migration of southern blacks similar to other historical migrations? Read replies.
Find out more about the Opening General Session.
More about Wilkerson