Health Reform Resources
On March 23, 2010, President Obama signed the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (ACA) into law. Included in the historic law are comprehensive prevention provisions consistent with those called for by APHA in its health reform agenda and supported by other leading experts in population health and prevention. The enactment of the Affordable Care Act begins to shift our health system from one that focuses on treating the sick to one that focuses on keeping people healthy. The June 2012 Supreme Court decision upholding the constitutionality of the Affordable Care Act allows for the long-overdue changes made possible by the law to move forward without question or further delay.
APHA has been at the forefront of promoting and protecting the critical public health provisions in the ACA.APHA has also been a leader in providing information and public education on the essential work the ACA and its Prevention Fund is doing in states and communities across the country.
Public health professionals: Looking for resources to help you educate the public about the ACA?
Check out this new resource guide from APHA: The Affordable Care Act's Health Insurance Marketplace: Consumer Education Resources for Public Health Practitioners (PDF, updated October 2013). It provides basic information about the marketplace, plus lots of links to useful resources -- like those available from CMS and CDC for partners who want to help educate consumers about the Marketplaces and the importance of enrolling in coverage.
Consumers: Looking for information about how the ACA will affect you?
The website you are currently on (American Public Health Association) has overviews of the Affordable Care Act and key provisions like the Marketplaces and Medicaid expansions, as well as the Prevention and Public Health Fund.
If you have specific questions about your own coverage options, there are three ways you can get help:
- Online: click the blue icons below to leave APHA's website and go to Healthcare.gov or Cuidadodesalud.gov, the official websites of the Affordable Care Act and the Health Insurance Marketplaces. On these websites, you can find plan and pricing information and enroll for coverage. You can also find answers to many health insurance and ACA questions, learn about your state’s Marketplace, and chat online with Marketplace assistors.
- By phone: There is also a 24-hour toll-free consumer assistance number: 1-800-318-2596 (1-855-889-4325 TTY/TDD). Operators can provide educational information and enrollment assistance in more than 150 languages. Small business owners can reach operators trained on their issues and options at 1-800-706-7893, Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. EST.
- In person: In person enrollment assistance is also available. To find assistance locations near you, visit LocalHelp.healthcare.gov or AyudaLocal.cuidadodesalud.gov.
Link to the Health Insurance Marketplace:
Highlighted APHA resources:
(Get these and other widgets for your newsletter or website.)
New APHA web content:
- NEW resource: The Affordable Care Act's Health Insurance Marketplace: Consumer Education Resources for Public Health Practitioners (PDF, updated October 2013).
- NEW resource: Major Affordable Care Act Delivery and Payment Reforms: Summary Table (PDF, October 2013).
- Recent webinar: ACA delivery reforms and public health: What’s the connection? Slides and recording from the Sept. 17, 2013 webinar. Slides only (pdf).
- Recent webinar: Affordable Care Act implementation one year post-decision: Medicaid expansion, preventive services, and public health implications. Slides and recording from the June 26, 2013 webinar. Slides only (PDF).
- APHA fact sheet: The Prevention and Public Health Fund (PDF, updated May 2013).
- Presentation slides: The Impact of the Affordable Care Act on State and Local Public Health Systems.
- Report: The New Public Health: Rewiring for the Future — Insight and Inspiration from APHA’s 2012 Midyear Meeting.
- At-a-glance charts providing an overview of the ACA and the problems with our system the ACA is addressing.
- Issue briefs and fact sheets on the Prevention and Public Health Fund, prevention provisions in the ACA, and the public health workforce provisions in the ACA.
- A 2012 webinar, co-sponsored by APHA and other public health organizations, on the Supreme Court's decision and its implications for public health and prevention.
- A summary of the public health and prevention provisions in the ACA, and a timeline of the implementation of ACA public health and prevention provisions.
In 2012, APHA updated the health reform webpages in this section with new content and resources. Each page now features answers to frequently asked questions, links to APHA fact sheets and other resources, and links to other useful websites and resources.
A guide to the new content:
The full text of the law, as well as section-by-section summaries, can be found here.
APHA is continuing to update its health reform website and resources. Please check back as we add new content.