The Global Health program is a component of the Center for Professional Development, Public Health Systems and Partnership, an integrated department within the Health Policy and Practice Division of APHA. It is committed to promoting the well-being and education of local, state, national and global residents of the world. Specifically, this internship experience is structured to suit the needs and interests of the intern. During the course of the internship, the student will become more familiar with the key issues and actors in international health and development. While there are no travel opportunities, there are extensive opportunities for networking. The intern will work with the Global Health Manager in the global health unit within APHA’s Center for Professional Development, Public Health Systems and Partnerships (CPDPHSP).
In general, the intern’s duties are as follows:
· Contributes global health news and articles for APHA’s global health webpage, Inside
Public Health newsletter, and the Public Health Newswire blog and the Nation’s Health.
· Updates and maintains the Global Health page within the CPDPHSP website.
· Assists with the development of APHA’s global health partnerships.
· Tracks and updates APHA’s global health sessions/events for the Annual Meeting.
· Assists with research for the development of APHA’s professional and student
· Plans brown bag seminars on global health issues.
· Organizes visits from international health professionals.
· Attends key global health conferences and seminars in Washington, D.C. where it may
be strategic to have APHA/WFPHA representation.
· Communicates routinely with APHA members and external partners in the global
· Provides assistance to the other units within the Center as needed.
Public health students- undergraduate or graduate preferred. At least 1 year of work experience with an interest in global health issues.
Excellent oral and written communication skills necessary, including the ability to write, edit and proofread written materials.
Demonstrated ability to use computer technology (e.g., Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Email, Internet, etc.)
Well-organized, with demonstrated ability to complete tasks with a minimum of supervision, as well as the ability to work effectively under pressure
Ability to coordinate and prioritize multiple projects simultaneously; demonstrates a positive, results-oriented approach to work; works effectively under pressure; self- motivated.